Referrals: 0800 0246 985
Enquiries:  020 3823 3030
Referrals: 0800 0246 985
Enquiries:  020 3823 3030

Work with us long

Jargon Buster is here to help families, carers, children and young people, understand some of the words and phrases used around them. We will keep this up to date and if we have missed anything out let us know… This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Academy - An independently run school that receives government funding. Many academies have converted from maintained schools. Academies may be run by businesses, other schools, charities or voluntary groups. Academies are not controlled by the local authority and have a lot of freedom to set their own rules.

Advocate – a person who intercedes or speaks on behalf of another to ensure their best interests are served.

ASC – Autistic Spectrum Condition, a lifelong disability that affects how someone sees the world, processes information, and relates to other people.

ASD – Autistic Spectrum Disorder, a lifelong disability that affects how someone sees the world, processes information, and relates to other people.

Complaint – the act of complaining; an expression of grievance, every provider has a complaints policy and procedure and these are available to anyone to see.

Code of Practice -Government guidance on the duties of local authorities, schools, colleges, health services and others who support children and young people with special educational needs (SEN).

DBS – Disclosure and Barring Service, all people who support children and young people need to have a current DBS check.

DfE – Department of Education, UK government department with responsibility for infant, primary and secondary education.

Direct payments - A cash payment given to a parent, young person or someone on their behalf so that they can arrange the support detailed in an EHC plan themselves.

Disability - A mental or physical impairment which strongly affects a person's ability to carry out normal daily activities. Many people with a disability will also have a SEN.

Education setting - A general phrase to describe a place where a child or young person receives their education, for example a nursery, school or college. This could also be within a children’s home where education is provided in house.

Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment - A formal assessment carried out by a local authority to decide how much extra support a child or young person needs.

EHC plan -A legal document issued by the local authority describing a child or young person's education, health and social care needs and the support that will be given to them.

Free school - A type of academy. Usually describes a new school which has been set up by parents, a charity, business or other groups or individuals.

Health provision - The medical care or support set out in an EHC plan. This could include medication, nursing or special equipment.

Independent school - A school that is not maintained by the state and charges fees. They are often run by a charity or charitable trust. Independent schools will have their own policies on admissions and exclusions. Independent schools do not have to follow the National Curriculum. Some independent schools provide education specifically for pupils with special educational needs (SEN). Kedleston are one of these organisations.

ISA – Independent Safeguarding Authority, created to help prevent unsuitable people from working with vulnerable adults or children.

Learning Difficulty Assessment (LDA)/Section 139a assessment - An assessment of needs carried out before a young person with SEN moves from school to further education. The local authority must arrange this for a pupil with a statement or as we now refer to them: education, health and care (EHC) plans.

LEA - Local education authorities (LEAs) are the local councils in England and Wales that are responsible for education within their jurisdiction. The term is used to identify which council (district or county) is locally responsible for education.

Local offer - Information published by the local authority about the education, health and social care support available in the area for children and young people with SEN and disabilities.

Mainstream school - Any school that is not a special school.

Maintained school - Sometimes called a state school. A mainstream or special school funded by the local education authority. These include community and voluntary controlled schools. They also include voluntary aided and foundation schools, for example faith schools that are controlled by the governing body. Maintained schools have to follow education law on special educational needs, admissions and the curriculum.

Ofsted – Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills. Inspects and regulates care for children and young people, and inspects education and training for learners of all ages.

Occupational Therapy (OT) – the use of treatments to develop or maintain the daily living and work skills of people with a physical, mental or developmental condition.

Outcomes - The benefit or difference that a particular bit of help makes to a child or young person.

Personal budget - An amount of money which can be used to buy support described in an EHC plan. A young person or their family can have a say in how the budget is used.

Psychiatry – branch of medicine concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders.

Psychology – the scientific study of all forms of the function of behaviour, sometimes concerned with how behaviour can be modified.

School/Early years Action and School/Early years Action Plus - The stages of support for children with SEN in early years settings and schools that was provided before September 2014. These stages have been replaced by SEN support.

SEBD – social, emotional behavioural difficulties.

SALT –Speech and Language Therapy – support with communication, also with swallowing difficulties (dysphagia).

SSD – Social Services Department.

Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) – Statements were replaced by EHC plans in Sept 2014. Existing Statements will be transferred by April 2018.

SEN - Special educational needs (SEN) is a legal term. It describes the needs of a child who has a difficulty or disability which makes learning harder for them than for other children their age. Around one infive children has SEN at some point during their school years.

SENCO - Special educational needs coordinator: a qualified teacher in a mainstream nursery or school who arranges the extra help for pupils with SEN.

SEN support - The first level of extra support in mainstream education settings for children and young people with SEN. It replaced school action/action plus in September 2014.

Special educational provision - A general term for any extra help given to children or young people with SEN that is over and above the help normally given to pupils of their age in
mainstream education settings.

Special school - A school that provides education only for pupils with special educational needs. Some special schools provide for pupils with moderate or severe learning difficulties. Many special schools provide for a particular type of need such as autism, visual impairment or dyslexia.

Statement of special educational needs - A legal document issued by the local authority describing a child's SEN and the support they will receive. From September 2014 statements have been replaced by EHC plans.

TCI - Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) – a crisis management protocol developed by Cornell University for residential child care facilities designed to teach staff, children and young people constructive ways to handle crisis

Tribunal – A tribunal is a special court or committee that is appointed to deal with particular problems.

Transfer review - A process carried out by the local authority to transfer a statement into an EHC plan.

Young person - A child becomes a young person when they have reached the end of compulsory schooling. This is the end of the school year in which they turn 16 - year 11 for most pupils. A young person between 16 and 25 has the right to make their own decisions related to their EHC plan.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. Our cookies collect no personal data. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive plugin by